I’ve found that people either love or hate Gnomes. My daughter loves them. We probably have a themed gnome for every holiday and she even has a couple tucked away in her room somewhere. So while on the hunt for our next craft project, we knew it had to involve gnomes! These Holiday Gnome Felt Ornaments are a great way to spend time with your kids or friends, crafting while watching Christmas movies or simply enjoying each others company. And of course, we make it easy with the free printable templates!
Holiday Gnome Felt Ornaments
Aren’t they just adorable! While these are great for Christmas, you can also change up the colors for other holidays. Pinks and reds for Valentine’s Day, orange and black for Halloween, browns for Thanksgiving, various shades of green for St. Patrick’s day, and so on.
First, gather up a few basic supplies to get started.
Matching embroidery floss
Hot glue gun
Free printable template (found at the end of this post)
Running Stitch (on layering pieces)
Blanket Stitch (used around the outside edge while joining two pieces
1. Print gnome pattern pieces on heavy card stock paper.
2. Cut out each piece. Use them as templates to trace and cut out the appropriate color felt pieces as noted.
MAKE THE BODY:
1. Sew the nose, heart and hands onto the beard with a running stitch.
2. Attach the beard to one body piece, also using a running stitch around the outer edge of the beard.
3. Place the second body piece behind the first and sew them together along the outside using a blanket stitch. Leave a small hole to stuff and then close off and finish. Set aside.
MAKE THE HEAD/HAT:
1. Begin sewing the two hat pieces to form the head. Use a blanket stitch to start at one side and stop at the other side so that you leave the entire bottom (where the head goes) open.
2. Use this hole to stuff and then place it onto the body, aligning it just above the nose.
3. Continue sewing across the bottom edge of the hat but now going through all pieces to attach the hat to the body. Finish off.
TO MAKE AN ORNAMENT:
Use a hot glue gun to place a loop of ribbon the the back of the gnome’s hat near the top.
*You could also sew the loop into the top of the hat by simply placing it where you would like while sewing the front and back hat pieces together.
Repeat the process to create as many gnome ornaments as you would like!
TIP: You can tack down smaller pieces with a very small amount of glue if you find they move around on your while trying to sew.
You can also make this a no sew project simply by using glue for everything in place of stitches!
We can’t get enough of these gnomes and can’t wait to make them again, in different colors, for our favorite holidays!
We just love these finished Holiday Gnome Felt Ornaments! Use them to decorate your tree, create a garland, jazz up christmas presents, or use a sharpie on the back to create a gift tag. Find another use for them? We’d love to hear it!
Ready to recreate this Holiday Gnomes? Click the button below for the free printable template: